The common, which is shown on the 1882 map was cleared of trees in 1966, and only a few isolated trees remain across the common, with a narrow 'break' adjacent to the lane and opposite the Plantation.
The Community Council applied to the Forestry Commission in 2005 for a grant to plant the upper/top section of the Plantation with saplings. A grant of £463.05 was agreed to purchase the saplings, with a further £198.45 to be granted in 2010 to replace any lost trees.
The business case, made in 2005, to the Forestry Commission for funding from the Woodland Grant Scheme to fund the purchase and planting of trees at this site stated that the Community Council would undertake to stock fence the Plantation, provide a welcome for walkers, a picnic area, install an interpretation sign and advertise and promote the area. Local groups would also be engaged in the maintenance work on site.
In 2013/2014 the Community Council set aside a budget of £6,000 to undertake the fencing and other associated works at the Plantation.