WAR MEMORIAL

Published: 19 September 2019

The War Memorial was built in 1924, and on the 21st September 1924 the War Memorial was dedicated to those men who had laid down their lives for their country during the First World War.

Names of those who died from the Community during the Second World War were added to the Memorial in 1991.

The Memorial is now undergoing renovation to repair and clean it, and the Community Council are grateful to Cadw for a grant to assist in the costs of the work.

To celebrate the renovation, a Civic Service is being held on Saturday 21st September 2019 at 10.30am to rededicate the Memorial to those who died in both the World Wars. 

Cllr Sally Bailey (Chair of Magor with Undy Community Council) will be hosting the event, accompanied by HM Lord-Lieutenant of Gwent, Brigadier Robert Aiken CBE and Rev Canon Jeremy Harris and members of the Royal British Legion.  The local Uniformed Organisations, Severn Tunnel Band and Serenata Choir will also be taking part in the service.

This service will be exactly 95 years to the date of its first dedication.

On the day, businesses will be open as usual, and everyone is welcome to attend the event.